8 years ago
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
A few thoughts
I'm not a huge TV watcher, we have like 3 channels, but I tend to keep it on a lot during the day for back ground noise. To my dismay, Jamis has discovered the TV. He will twist around anyway he can to see it and just stare. This really bothers me. I refuse to have a child that learns to be glued to the boob tube. So, I rediscovered the wonders of books on CD. So far I've "read" 2.5 books this week. I love it. I get the benefit of an adult voice in the house and I'm learning. Right now I'm listening to a book by Caroline Myss called, Invisible Acts of Power, Personal Choices That Create Miracles. I highly recommend it. She digs down and really analyses generosity. Different types of generosity, what moves people, what holds us back. I find it fascinating. What really hit me the most was that some of the greatest forms of generosity are invisible. For example, not judging people, giving them the benefit of the doubt. Did you ever think of this as generosity? I know I typically meet someone and completely "figure" them out in the first few minutes. Several times in the past few days I've been shown that the category I internally put someone in, was completely wrong. It goes to show that you really can't judge a book by its cover. The book has also brought to my attention the thing that holds me back from most from generous acts is fear. So many times I know of a possible solution to someones problem, but don't say anything for fear of rejection or appearing as a "know it all." Spreading the gospel is a perfect example. So often I don't step out of my comfort zone to welcome someone new; new to church, the neighborhood, my gym class. I let fear shut my mouth and end up leaving someone feeling that they don't belong. I know when I'm the new person, the best thing in the world is that person that welcomes me, invites me to sit with them, or gives me the scoop to help me feel apart of my new environment. Its a huge self-esteem boost for me and makes being the new kid tolerable. This book has really got me to look deeper at myself, my thoughts, my actions, and even more so the lack there of. Just a thought for the day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
what a great idea with the book on tape. I love book like that we should chat. oh and sorry I've been in Florida but I'm back now so we'll have to play
Post a Comment