Saturday, October 8, 2011

the BIG three O

 It's true.  I am officially half way up "the hill."  Turning 30 is something that I've been dreading mostly because I remember when my parents turned 30 and that in and of it self is quite depressing.  Thirty to me though has always represented "real adulthood."  When you are in your twenties, your still young, having fun, and if you mess up, no big deal, 'your just in your twenties'.  When your 30 though its a different story.  You are now supposed to be a 'responsible adult.'  Now I know nothing really changes or not that I ever used the reasoning of 'oh, its OK, I'm just in my twenties', but still....the thought was always in the back of my mind.  Now I am a 'real responsible adult.'  Devan laughed at me when I tried to explain this to him, some people just don't get it.

Now the day started off great, a yummy breakfast in bed with my three boys. 

Then it started to decline.  Several of my friends offered to take the kids for us so we could go out.  Devan just gave me a laundry list of all the reasons why he didn't want to go out.  So I came up with a list of things we could do during the day with the kids that would be fun.  Devan had to go into work.  I was trying hard not to lose it.

When he finally got back from the hospital, we went for a little drive and hike in the mountains.  Put the day back on track.  

 Our little turtle we rescued from the middle of the road.  We tried to bring it home with us, but Jamis freaked out.





After we returned from our nature time, Devan changed his clothes and said I should too because one of his Attendings was stopping by for a bit.  When I asked Devan why he cared what he had on he said, "I'm a Plastic Surgeon now, Jenae, I have to always look the part."  Now I knew something was up.  Devan never cares who he is around, he is always the same.  Sure enough, I came out to the living room and a young woman from our ward is sitting there ready to babysit (Devan had arranged this with her a week before) and Devan shews me out the door.  Sneaky little devil.  He took me to a sweet little Thai restaurant that I had been eyeing since we moved here (which by the way he had no idea of, but knew me well enough to know where I'd want to go eat).  Oh, SOOOO good.  During dinner he whips a camera out of his pocket and asks the waitress to take a picture of us.  It took me a minute to realize that I had never seen this camera before.  That stinker had not really gone into work that morning, but had really gone out and bought me a pocket size camera that I've been wanting for years.  We had a good laugh at how in trying to "help" plan the day, I had made a TON of behind the scene clean up for him.  The lengths I unknowingly put him through to keep my day a surprise.  What a doll.   
First Pic with my new Camera
Good morning to my boys.  Now I can take pics of them everywhere we go!
What a Great Day!!!  Guess turning 30 really isn't that bad.

No comments: