Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Wonders of 2008

The Wonders of 2008
2008 was a year to remember. Devan and I started the year off with a 15 year old "daughter" and ended it with a 1 month old son, with many adventures in between. Here's the recap.


Devan's little sister, Danza, moved in with us Thanksgiving Day 2007. She was with us for 3 months before moving back home to Utah. Living with a teenager is definitely a challenge and something we learned a lot from.









In May Devan and I returned to the Home Land for a little R&R. It was so great to visit all our favorite places and visit with friends and family as we made a week long trip around the state of Utah. It was our first time back since moving to North Carolina and it just made the homesickness worse. Hate to admit it, but I really miss Utah. You never know what you have until it is gone. We were able to bike in Moab, camp out in the place were we got engaged (and had our first kiss), hike the Subway in Zion National Park, rock climb in St. George, drive up Big Cottonwood Canyon, and eat at Cafe Rio. It was hard to leave.



In June the fun really begun. Through a wonderful series of events we came into contact with Chrissy and our lives were forever changed. Devan and I have been struggling to start our family for three years and had been working with LDS Family Services for awhile with the hopes to adopt. Chrissy had just started working with the agency as well and picked us to be the parents to her baby boy. Baby G was due on Dec 12, making it the longest 7 months of my life. Luckily she was able to come out to NC for several visits prior to Baby G's birth and we had a wonderful time getting to know each other.















On Wednesday November 26 at 1:47 am Jamis Calvin made his grand entrance into the world, 3 weeks early. 6 lbs 3 oz 20.5 inches long and the cutest thing I've ever seen. Both Devan and I were able to be in the delivery room for the party. Words cannot describe how amazing it is to see your child born. Chrissy is the strongest woman I know and was able to go through the entire delivery med free. She recovered remarkably well and amazed all the Doctors and Nurses and was the envy of all the other mothers. Jamis spent 2 days in the Newborn ICU for antibiotics and observation and was D/C home with Chrissy on Friday. Saturday he came home with us.





























Adoption is the most amazing process in the world. Devan and I, as well as our families, will eternally be grateful to Jamis's birthparents and the sacrifice they made to bring this special spirit into our home and hearts. I know every parent loves their children, but I honestly think that Jamis is the most loved child in the world (OK maybe I'm a little bias). Parenthood has already be such an adventure and the most amazing thing Devan and I have ever done. It is everything I hoped it to be and more.













Jamis is such an amazing kid. It literally took him about three weeks to realize he had the ability to cry. He sleeps well, eats even better, and has only peed on me once. He has remarkably long, skinny fingers, huge feet, and the biggest mouth ever. He only gets upset when he gets the hiccups, which unfortunately for him is several times a day. He is a month old now and has already gained over 2 lbs (I told you he is a good eater). He is the light of our life and definitely the center of our universe.

To back up a little.....

Devan and I went on a romantic 7 night Cruise to the Caribbean. We had stops in Cozumel, Belize, Honduras, and the Bahamas. It was amazing to get away together, to not have to cook, clean, study, answer the phone, or do anything that didn't involve scuba diving, eating, jeeping, snorkeling, and laying on the beach.





Two days after returning I headed out for Thailand for my 5th Operation Smile mission. I was there for nearly 3 weeks and totally fell in love with the country. Beautiful mountains, beaches, food, and people. I assisted 108 children in getting new smiles, rode an elephant, took a Thai cooking class, snorkeled, fed wild monkeys, visited several Buddist temples, and of course shopped at the countless markets. Thailand definitly has not seen the last of me.




Devan, being the amazing husband that he is, held down the fort at home while I traveled the world. He is now in his third year of General Surgery Residency and continues to love his chosen profession. Nine days after returning home Baby Jamis came into the world.

1 comment:

Curt Jensen said...

What an amazing year! And welcome to the wonderful world of blogging. It is great to see pics of your little family, especially the ones from your daily photo shoots. Just so you know, Mary Ann is 17 months old and we still have those! You will have to rope Devan into writing the occasional post.